How to increase platelet count?
Platelets are the tiniest among the blood cells, much smaller than red and white blood cells. They aid in blood clotting and help in preventing blood loss from the body, in case of injury. With a life span of 5 to 9 days, they are present in a very large number in our body.
Reasons for low platelet count
Loss of platelets is a serious problem as it leads to blood loss from our body. There can be two reasons behind less number of platelets – either they are getting destroyed or enough are not getting produced. This could be due to various reasons including:
- Reduced production of platelets due to anemia, viral infections, leukaemia, chemotherapy, excessive alcohol consumption and deficiency of Vitamin B12.
- Presence of platelets in the spleen due to any severe liver disease or cancer.
- Breakdown of platelets due to health problems like ITP, TTP, a bacterial infection in the blood, reaction to medicines and autoimmune disease.
Symptoms of low platelets
- prolonged bleeding from cuts
- rashes on skin
- bleeding through urine or stool
- heavy menstrual bleeding
- prolonged wound bleeding
- in case of a severe condition, you may vomit blood
- heavy internal bleeding may lead to bleeding in the brain. Consult your doctor immediately in case you have a low blood platelet count and experience headaches or any neurological problem.
8 simple home remedies to increase blood platelet count
Below are some simple home remedies to increase the blood platelet count.
- Papaya and papaya leaves – Papaya and its leaves both are very helpful in increasing the platelet count in our body, says research conducted by Asian institute of science and technology, Malaysia in 2009. You can consume ripe papaya and drink the juice of its leaves every day till the time your platelet count doesn’t come to normal. You can also drink papaya juice and add a little lemon juice to it.
- Pumpkin and its seeds – The nutrients in pumpkin are helpful in producing protein effectively, which is very important for producing platelets. Pumpkin also has Vitamin A which helps in the production of platelets in our body. So, regular consumption of pumpkin and its seeds helps us in increasing our platelet count.
- Lemon juice – Lemon provides our body with a good amount of Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps in improving the platelet count. Not only this, but Vitamin C also improves our immunity which in turn is very useful for preventing free radical damage of platelets.
- Amla – Amla is also rich in Vitamin C and provides all the benefits that lemon does. In addition to this, amla is rich in antioxidants and thus helps in preventing numerous health problems which can lead to low platelet count.
- Beetroot – Beetroot also prevents the free radical damage of platelets and helps in increasing its number. Therefore, consuming a glass of beetroot juice can greatly help in increasing the number of platelets.
- Wheatgrass – A study published in the International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Life Sciences states that wheatgrass can be beneficial in increasing the number of platelets in our blood. This happens because wheatgrass is high in chlorophyll, with a molecular structure like that of the hemoglobin molecule in our body. You can consume half a cup of wheatgrass juice with a little lemon juice for increasing its effectiveness. Vitamin C is a nutrient that enhances iron absorption by binding itself with iron. This prevents the formation of insoluble and unabsorbable iron compounds.
- Aloe Vera juice – Aloe Vera helps in the blood purification process. It is also effective in preventing blood infections. All this leads to an increase in blood platelet count and treats the problem of low platelets effectively.
- Spinach – Spinach is rich in Vitamin K, which helps in the prevention of blood loss from cuts and injuries. Also, the daily consumption of spinach juice can drastically improve the number of blood platelets.
Low platelet count vitamin b12 deficiency
Low platelet count folic acid deficiency
The deficiency of folate in the body may lead to a lower blood platelet count. Add more vitamin B9 or folate-rich foods that may be extremely important for healthy cell division in the body that can help increase blood platelet count.
Learn About: hand-foot-and-mouth-disease
For Your Health Interest,
Get Us IN +919766060629