Serum Homocysteine Test
Homocysteine Test – The homocysteine blood test measures the amount of homocysteine present in the blood. An elevated concentration of Homocysteine is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
What is Homocysteine?
Homocysteine is an amino acid produced in our body during protein breakdown. It requires Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, and folic acid for its breakdown. Therefore increased levels of homocysteine in the blood may be a sign of deficiency of these vitamins.
Why homocysteine test is performed?
This test is one among many tests used to determine whether you have vitamin B12, B6, or folic acid deficiencies. Your doctor may advise you to do this test if you experience any symptoms of vitamin B or folic acid deficiency such as weakness, pale skin, dizziness, sore tongue and mouth, fatigue, tingling in the hands, arms, feet and/or legs. Your doctor may ask to perform this test if you have a family history of heart disease or to screen and monitor heart disease or if you are at high risk for heart attack or stroke. This test may also be performed as part of routine newborn screening or when a doctor suspects that an infant or young person may have homocystinuria, a rare inherited condition that prevents the body from breaking down certain proteins.
Homocysteine Test Result Interpretation
- High levels of homocysteine may indicate malnutrition or vitamin B12, B6, or folic acid deficiencies
- Increased levels of homocysteine may also be seen in individuals who are at higher risk of heart disease
- Other reasons that could raise your homocysteine levels are age (Homocysteine levels may get higher with an increase in age), gender (Men have higher levels of homocysteine than women), smoking, alcohol consumption, use of vitamin B supplements or certain medications such as methotrexate, carbamazepine, and phenytoin
- Low levels of homocysteine than the normal range is not very common
- Overnight fasting may required
- Doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The test result may vary depending on gender, age, health history, etc.
- Ideal for male and female above 30yrs
Also known as, homocysteine test, homocysteine level, homocysteine level test, serum homocysteine, serum homocysteine test, serum homocysteine level, homocysteine blood, homocysteine blood test, homocysteine level blood test, homocysteine level blood
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp +919766060629
Read our Article On Heart Attack and Cardiac Arrest
Watch On YouTube