Creatine Phosphokinase MB
What is cpk-mb test?
CPK Mb Test – Creatine Kinase-MB test is used to measure the creatinine kinase-MB levels in the blood. This test is also used to differentiate the damage between the heart muscle and skeletal muscle. This test is also used sometimes to detect a heart attack or to detect a second heart attack or to assess the heart damage.
What is creatine kinase MB?
Creatine kinase-MB is a type of enzyme found mostly in heart muscle cells. Creatinine kinase (CK) enzyme has three forms of isoenzymes. They are- CK-MM, CK-MB, CK-BB. CK-MM is found mostly in heart muscles and skeletal muscles, CK-MB is found mainly in the heart but certain amounts can be found in skeletal muscles, CK-BB is found in the brain and smooth muscles like intestines.
Creatinine kinase is produced from muscle cells and the levels will be raised whenever there is a muscle injury or muscle damage. Certain amounts of CK is always seen in blood in the form of CK-MM. CK-BB is mostly never seen in the blood. Whenever there is a heart damage CK-MB can be observed in the blood. Thus this test is used in detecting a heart problem.
Why cpk-mb test performed?
This test is usually recommended when your total CK test levels are too high. This test helps in assessing the reason for elevated levels of total CK in the blood. This test helps to distinguish the damage of heart muscle or skeletal muscle. This is also recommended if you experience chest pain or chest discomfort, pain in the left arm, neck or jaw, shortness of breath, extreme tiredness, dizziness, profuse sweating or nausea, etc. This test results will be at peaks in 12-24 hours after experiencing the symptoms and fall back to normal after 48-72 hours. If there is a second heart attack or the damage is ongoing, then the results will be elevated for a longer duration.
CPK MB Test
- Overnight fasting is not required
- Doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The normal reference range may vary depending on gender, age, health history, etc.
- Home visit collection facility available for the test amount above ₹499
- Certain factors may interfere with your test results such as IM injections (intramuscular), recent surgeries, heavy exercise, cardiac catheterization, electromyography (the procedure which is used to test nerve and muscle function). Some medications also cause high levels of CPK in your blood they are, statins, steroids, amphotericin B, anesthetics, etc. Taking alcohol or cocaine before undergoing this test may also disturb your test results.
- Your doctor may have specific instructions depending on your condition on how to prepare for CK – MB test
Also known as, CK – MB Spectrophotometric method Blood, Creatine Phosphokinase MB Spectrophotometric method Blood, Creatine Kinase MB fraction, Creatine Phosphokinase MB, cpk, cpk blood, cpk mp blood, cpk-mb, cpk-mb blood, cpk mb blood test, serum cpk mb, serum cpk-mb, serum cpk mb test
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp +919766060629
Read our Article On Heart Attack & Cardiac Arrest
Watch On YouTube