Last updated on October 20th, 2022 at 07:47 am
Depression affects over 300 million people worldwide. It is a major cause of disability and suicide. Learn about antidepressants side effects on sexual life.
What are Antidepressants?
Quick Jump Table
Antidepressants are some of the most commonly prescribed medications in the world. They increase serotonin levels in the brain, which can lead to side effects such as nausea, sleeplessness, and weight gain. Doctors will work with patients to find a medication that causes fewer side effects.
Antidepressants Side Effects: What you Need to Know
Antidepressant drugs are just one type of medication that your doctor can prescribe to treat symptoms of depression. They work by increasing the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine, which affect mood.
Modern lifestyle is witnessing gifts of technology and simultaneously facing the side effects that come along such as peer pressure, stress, hectic schedules, complexities in life, and various other issues that are plaguing the people today in a manifold manner. They are being forced to succumb to depression, and fight back the same; they are taking pills, anti-depressants, anti-psychotic drugs, or other narcotics.
Antidepressants Sexual Side Effects
These are proving extremely detrimental by taking a toll on the overall mental and physical health of humans. One of the main ill-effects of these dangerous drugs is decreased desire or sexual urge, which is also known as Libido.
How Anti-depressant Drugs Affect Physical and Social Lives?
Anti-depressant drugs have certain chemicals in the composition such as serotonin, melatonin, dopamine, inhibitors, tricyclics, etc. that severely affect the emotions of love in both the males and females along with decreasing the sexual push or aggression, degrading the conjugal life of a couple to a large extent. This is indeed a matter of serious concern because ultimately the happiness and health are at stake. In time, an individual affected by such problems distances away from his or her partner and also isolates from other people. He or she cocoons in a shell, and this gives rise to another form of depression.
Antidepressants Sexual Side Effects Treatment
Sex and stress are linked several ways. Most of us instinctively know this already and feel it unmistakably when a stressful week or two zaps us off our sex drive.
Loss of sexual desire and difficulties performing during intimate encounters can be symptoms of depression, but they can also be side effects of many medications used to treat depression.
While antidepressants are often integral to managing depression, sexuality is an important piece of a healthy life for many people. Experiencing sexual side effects from antidepressants can frustrate and disheartening, but there are ways to address them.
How Ayurvedic Treatment Deal with Antidepressants Sexual Side Effects?
As each of the symptoms is related to lifestyle issues, therefore, at first, it is important to balance these. Ayurveda today has become a very crucial cure in such cases. The specialists are also recommending the use of the same in the treatment of libido. The Ayurvedic treatment includes.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Depression
- Counselling- Sitting with their patients, giving a patient listening to the problems, counseling them, and then advising some hormonal therapy or lifestyle changes.
- Shiro Dhara Panchakarma- This therapy aids in curing stress and depression, which ultimately brings back libido.
- Satvavjay Chikitsa- In this form of treatment, the patient is required to stay away from negative thoughts and reinforce the positive thoughts in the brain. Letting go of these thoughts will help the patient stay happy and content, which would let you enjoy the intimate moments to the fullest.
- Nasya Treatment- In this treatment, Ayurvedic medicines are taken through the nose, as it is assumed that the effect reaches from nose to head, thus curing the ailment.
- Shiro Basti Treatment- This is a process of medicated enema for increasing libido. A cap is placed on the head in this treatment.
- Meditation and yoga– These are the best natural therapy for curing libido related problems. Meditating daily for 1 hour can drastically increase the libido level. Also, yoga poses, like Pigeon Pose, bound angel, eagle pose, are good for getting back libido. Yoga and meditation are very good for reducing the stress level. Thus, by reducing stress levels, libido is increased.
- Manasmitra Vataka- This relieves stress efficiently, thus increasing libido naturally.
- Swarna Saraswatarishta- This reduces mental fatigue and helps in increasing retention power. Overall, this results in an increased libido.
- Ashwagandharistha- This is good for men as this helps to improve the testosterone level. Testosterone helps in increasing libido. Ayurveda is all about natural and herbal cure with very handy home remedies such as maintaining the correct diet comprising plenty of water, fruits, onion and garlic, the Mediterranean food, etc. that will help to enhance the sexual desire. Ayurvedic pills for increasing sexual feelings known as libido enhancer pills and other herbal sexual pills are sometimes prescribed to the patients as well, but those must be taken with the utmost care and under strict medical guidance.
- Stop Bad Habits- Stopping every form of a bad habit like alcohol consumption and smoking is also essential.
If one wants to come out of such problems, there will always be guidance and help to him or her. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
You May Also Interest To Read; Pulmonary Hypertension.
©healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com, 2017-Till Date. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full credit is given to healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.