Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that mainly affects the spine and can lead to severe pain and stiffness. It's a chronic inflammatory disease that can also affect other joints in the body. AS is more commonly seen in young adults and can often go undiagnosed for several years.
In this article, we will explore the symptoms, causes, and diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis and discuss how Healthcare nt sickcare can help diagnose it.
Understanding Ankylosing Spondylitis
AS is a type of arthritis that causes inflammation in the joints and ligaments of the spine. The inflammation can lead to new bone formation, which can cause the spine to become stiff and inflexible over time. AS can also cause inflammation in other joints, such as the hips, knees, and shoulders. The exact cause of AS is unknown, but it is believed to be an autoimmune disorder, where the body's immune system attacks its own tissues.
Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
The symptoms of AS can vary from person to person and can be mild or severe. Some common symptoms of AS include:
- Back pain and stiffness, particularly in the morning or after periods of inactivity
- Pain and stiffness in other joints, such as the hips, knees, and shoulders
- Reduced flexibility in the spine
- Difficulty taking deep breaths
Diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Diagnosing AS can be difficult, as its symptoms can be similar to other types of arthritis. A doctor may suspect AS based on a patient's symptoms and medical history. They may also conduct a physical exam to check for signs of inflammation, such as swelling, tenderness, and restricted mobility. In addition to these, they may also order several diagnostic tests, such as:
- Blood tests: These tests can check for signs of inflammation and specific antibodies that are commonly associated with AS.
- X-rays: X-rays of the spine can show changes that are indicative of AS, such as the presence of new bone formation.
- MRI: MRI scans can detect early signs of inflammation and damage to the spine and other joints.
How Healthcare nt sickcare can help diagnose Ankylosing Spondylitis?
At Healthcare nt sickcare, we offer a range of diagnostic tests to help diagnose Ankylosing Spondylitis. Our expert team of healthcare professionals can conduct a physical examination and order the necessary tests to diagnose the condition accurately. Our diagnostic tests include:
- Complete Blood Count (CBC): This test can help detect signs of inflammation and anaemia, which is commonly seen in patients with AS.
- Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) and C-Reactive Protein (CRP) tests: These tests can help detect signs of inflammation in the body.
- HLA-B27 test: This genetic test can detect the HLA-B27 gene, which is commonly seen in patients with AS.
- X-rays and MRI scans: These imaging tests can detect changes in the spine and other joints that are indicative of AS.
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects the spine and other joints. It can cause severe pain and stiffness, and can often go undiagnosed for several years. Understanding the symptoms and causes of AS is crucial for early diagnosis and treatment.
© healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com, 2017-Present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.