Drinking water during meals is important for digestion and preventing dehydration. Helps in weight loss.
Drinking water during meals can help with digestion. It is possible to fill up your stomach by drinking a glass of water before your meal. Drinking a glass of water during your meal helps slow down the rate at which the stomach empties and slows the digestion of carbohydrates.
Quick Jump Table
Drinking Water During Meals Good or Bad?
Our digestive system comprises a complex setup of organs, enzymes, secretions, and much more. In order to ensure that they all function in tandem with each other so that our digestion works properly, we need to take many measures.
It is also a digestive aid. Yet, there are two varied schools of thought with drinking water during one’s meals. While some people say that it is good, there are others who say that it should not be practiced. So let us find out whether having water during your meals is a good thing or not.
Drinking Water During Meals: Promotes Digestion
- Stomach Acids: If we are to look at water during a meal from the perspective of our stomach acids, then most doctors will tell you that there is no problem in having water with your food. The main doubt here is whether the acidic fluid flowing through our stomach may become too diluted with the consumption of water. However, this does not happen. Various medical studies conducted by reliable hospitals and sources under a controlled environment have shown that the consumption of water does not affect the stomach’s pH balance during a meal.
- Digestive Process: While the stomach acids may not suffer because of the consumption of water during a meal, there are other schools of thought where people refrain from drinking water with food so that better digestion may be achieved. But this is also not entirely true. Digestion is well known for being a complicated process where many elements need to work together for its proper functioning. This function includes a comfortable body and state of mind after one has a meal. Therefore, it is more important to have the right food at the right time in a proper environment instead of rushing through one’s meals and eating junk all the time.
- Constipation and Overeating: Drinking water during the meal can help in curbing constipation as it helps in softening the stool. It also helps in clearing the food from the digestive tract in a better and timely manner so that the toxins and stool do not remain there. This is because drinking water during meals keeps the digestive track well-lubricated. Also, when you drink water with your meals, you avoid overeating as water fills up a substantial portion of your stomach. Further, water has important nutrients that can suffice for your nutritional requirements along with food. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Drinking Water is Critical During Meals
Have you ever heard people advising you to avoid drinking water during your meals? Well, the common notion is that drinking water during your meals can put off the digestive fire (Agni) and can cause tummy troubles. Turns out, it’s not true. Health experts suggest one should drink water during meals as it only helps make the digestion process smoother and better. Water is one of the major elements that one must consume regularly during the day, so the body remains hydrated and the stool also softens; in fact, it can be called a digestive aid.
- According to Macrobiotic Nutritionist and Health Coaches, “Drinking water between meals is fine; however, avoid drinking it closer to meals. Our body produces enzymes and gastric juices, pancreatic, and other chemical juices that digest food. Drinking water closer to meals would dilute these digestive enzymes and juices, leading to indigestion and improper utilization of nutrients. It’s a great idea, though, to have raw salads and apple cider vinegar before meals to allow the flow of the digestive juices and aid digestion.”
- According to Ayurvedic Expert, “We can have water while taking meals, but not right before and after meals. This can dilute our digestive juices and delay or disturb the digestion.”
It is claimed that consuming water with food dilutes the bile and stomach acid that is needed to break down and absorb nutrients better. It also helps your stomach liquefy food that aids in digestion and nutrient absorption, further helping prevent conditions like constipation and bloating by softening stools. In fact, it also helps you fill up faster and encourages you to take breaks from your food, causing you to slow down on eating. Remember, the brain takes some time to register that you have eaten enough.
Drinking Water With Meals Conclusion
Try drinking warm water than chilled glassful of water as it helps ease the process better. Drinking water during the meals does not mean that you gulp down too many glasses in one go. It means sipping not over one glass through the meal.
Solid food and liquids both go hand in hand in digesting your food properly. Water is one of the fundamental elements that one must ingest regularly during the day so that the body remains hydrated and the stool also softens.
You May Also Interest To Read; 15 Daily Habits to Stay Fit
Learn about blood test for vitamins and minerals
©healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com, 2017-Till Date. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full credit is given to healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.