T3 T4 Test
T3 T4 Test For Thyroid
Hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer, Grave’s disease, are some disorders that can be diagnosed with the help of T3 T4 test results. Additional diagnostic tests that may be prescribed, along with thyroid blood tests.
Note: Read test details, FAQs and test conditions before proceeding to booking.
T3 T4 Test Total
T3 T4 Test on Serum. Total Thyroid hormone levels include protein-bound levels and are affected by abnormalities in thyroid hormone-binding protein like Thyroid Binding Globulin (TBG). TBG is increased because of the effect of estrogens like pregnancy, oral contraceptives & Tamoxifen therapy.
TBG is decreased because of the effect of excessive androgens and Nephrotic syndrome. In addition, genetic disorders, acute illness, various drugs can all affect thyroid hormone binding. Hence, assays that measure unbound or free hormones are preferable to total thyroid hormones.
Why T3 T4 test advised?
Indications of undergoing t3 and t4 test:
- Menstrual disturbances
- Unexplained hair fall
- Unexplained weight changes
- Digestive disturbances
- Loss of sleep or excessive sleepiness
- History of thyroid disorders
- Recent thyroid surgery
Disturbances in the levels of either of these hormones suggest underlying pathology.
- T3 Test – It is the hormone synthesized by the thyroid gland using iodine. T3 controls metabolism, digestive functions, the functioning of the female reproductive cycle, etc. Normal levels of Serum T3 are 80-180 ng/dL.
- T4 Test – T4 is the other hormone produced by the thyroid gland, alongside T3. It maintains the healthy functioning of cerebral tissue and cardiac tissue. Normal levels of Serum T4 are 4.6-12 micrograms/dL.
- TSH Test – TSH is a hormone synthesized and secreted by the pituitary gland. It controls the release of T3 and T4 hormones, thus allowing the thyroid gland to function normally. Normal levels of TSH are 0.4-4.0 mIU/ml.
How is the T3 T4 test performed?
A venous blood sample is required for performing a thyroid test. Patients may be asked to observe an overnight fast for 6-8 hours before their blood sample is collected. Therefore, doctors usually advise patients to undergo thyroid tests early in the morning. Complete overnight fasting is not compulsory for thyroid hormone tests.
T3 T4 blood test Result
Hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer, Grave’s disease, are some disorders that can be diagnosed with the help of thyroid test results. Additional diagnostic tests that may be prescribed, along with thyroid blood tests, include.
T3 T4 blood test for female
Other than the above health conditions, the thyroid test is a part of the mandatory blood tests advised on pregnant women. Women who have no thyroid troubles before pregnancy often develop complaints during pregnancy. Regular monitoring of thyroid hormone levels is essential during pregnancy.
Thyroid hormones control several metabolic functions like menstruation, digestion, cardiac activity. Patients suffering from disorders of these systems need to undergo thyroid tests at regular intervals.
Other than checking for levels of thyroid hormones, patients may also be asked to undergo tests for autoimmune thyroid disorders. These tests include checking for anti-thyroid antibodies and other factors.
Abnormal results of thyroid tests should be promptly reported to an endocrinologist. It is imperative that medical treatment is started immediately to avoid health complications.
T3 T4 test conditions
- Overnight fasting may be advised by your doctor
- Doctor’s prescription may be required
- Previous medical report and test history may be needed
- The normal reference range may vary depending on gender, age, health history, etc.
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp 919766060629
Read our Article On Thyroid Test
Watch On YouTube