Last updated on January 27th, 2023 at 02:33 pm
Sudden weight loss is a serious concern. It can be a sign of an underlying health condition, which needs to be evaluated and managed by a medical professional.
Know the Danger Signs: Sudden Weight Loss Complications
Quick Jump Table
Sudden weight loss is extremely common. It is mainly adopted by people who are depressed because of their weight and want to reduce weight rapidly. There can be various reasons people would want to adopt sudden weight loss techniques. A few of these reasons are;
- feelings of social neglect
- heart diseases
- inactivity or lethargy
Sudden Weight Loss, Side Effects
Sometimes, many people want to reduce weight as soon as possible. They try to lose weight by dieting or by consuming certain medications. This might cause a lot of complications, such as;
- If you reduce weight rapidly, it might cause the skin to be left behind, and also it will cause the skin to sag. This also creates stretch marks on the surface of your skin from where you intend to lose weight. This might give a very unsightly appearance to your body. So it is better to reduce weight slowly.
- Many people try to starve themselves while dieting to get faster results. This is extremely harmful to your body. It can cause dehydration and sometimes also lead to nausea or fainting.
- Rapid weight loss can also make you lose water from your body. This can be extremely detrimental to your health. It is difficult to burn a lot of calories in a short time. Instead, you might burn water from your body, which is very harmful.
- Sudden weight loss is not a permanent solution. You should be very careful while adopting rapid forms of weight loss exercise or diet. You might lose weight for a limited period, but since your body isn’t trained to adapt to temporary and rapid changes, you might start gaining weight rapidly instead.
- Rapid weight loss can also lead to the formation of gallstones. It can also cause infection because of an obstruction in the normal flow of the bile from the gallbladder to the intestine.
- Hair loss can also occur if you are trying to lose weight rapidly. Protein intake gets reduced when you follow a strict diet plan for rapid weight loss. This can make your hair extremely brittle and dry, hence causing it to break.
If you want to reduce weight, it is better to follow a diet chart which does not make you starve and rather balances your diet.
Learn about insulin test
Unintentional Weight Loss
Unintentional weight loss is a decrease in body weight when you did not lose weight on your own. Many people gain and lose weight. Unintentional weight loss is 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms) OR 5% of your normal body weight over 6 to 12 months or fewer without knowing the reason.
Unintentional Weight Loss Causes
Unintentional weight loss because of loss of appetite may be due to
- Feeling depressed
- Cancer, even when other symptoms are not present
- Chronic infection such as AIDS
- Chronic illness, such as COPD or Parkinson disease
- Drugs, including chemotherapy drugs, and thyroid medicines
- Drug abuse such as amphetamines and cocaine
- Stress or anxiety
Unintentional weight loss because of chronic digestive system problems that decrease the amount of calories and nutrients your body absorbs, including
- Diarrhea and other infections that last a long time, such as parasites
- Chronic inflammation of the pancreas
- Removal of part of the small intestine
- Overuse of laxatives
Other causes of unintentional weight loss;
- Eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa that have not been diagnosed yet
- Diabetes that has not been diagnosed
- Overactive thyroid gland
You may also be interested in reading about Covid-19 Transmission.
Learn about hypertension
©healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com, 2017-Till Date. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full credit is given to healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.