Serum Osmolality TestServe Only in Pune!
You save 10%
Offer from Wednesday 31st August to Thursday 1st September
Serum Osmolality Test
A blood osmolality test, also known as a serum osmolality test, is most often used to check the balance between water and certain chemicals in the blood.
Note: Please read the test details and FAQs before proceeding with online booking.
Available!🔥24 others viewing this lab test!
Serum Osmolality Test
Osmolality is the increment and decreasing of blood because of dehydration and overhydration of one’s body. In a normal person, high levels of osmolality in blood can simulate antidiuretic hormone (ADH) secretion. This results in less concentrated blood plasma, high concentrated urine and increased water reabsorption.
Osmolality is actually the measuring of one substance’s ability to dissolve in another substance. The greater the concentration, the higher level of osmolality. Salty water has a very high osmolality level compared to water with a pinch of salt. The body’s functional ability makes specific adjustments, hence, can release and maintain adequate osmolality levels.
In fact, even you can know the level of yourself. If you are urinating frequently, consider your osmolality level is low. This is the body’s way to get rid of excess water and maintain the osmolality levels.
The osmolality test is also called the serum osmolality test, as serum is the liquid part of the blood.
Why osmolality blood test advised?
Osmolality test is usually ordered to check your body’s water/salt levels. This helps in verifying if you are having a medical condition of concern or not. Osmolality test is used for people having the following symptoms:
- Excess of sodium in your bloodstream
- Hyponatremia-deficiency of sodium in blood
- Certain substance poisoning like methanol, ethanol or ethylene glycol, etc.
Normal range of serum osmolality test
Serum Osmolality test result normal range: 275 – 295 mosm/kg
Serum osmolality test conditions
- 10-12hrs overnight fasting is NOT advised
- A doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The normal test results may vary depending on gender, age, health history, etc.
- Inform your doctor if you’ve been taking medicines or drugs, and he might ask you to stop. Certain medications can interact with your serum osmolality test result. Talk to your doctor.
- Home visit service facility available only for total test cost of above ₹999