SBT Test (Discontinued)
Serum bactericidal titer (SBT) test is employed to determine the effect of anti-microbial treatment in a patient, especially in patients with conditions like endocarditis and osteomyelitis.
Note: Read test details, FAQs and conditions before proceeding to the book.
Out of stock
Serum bactericidal titer (SBT) test
Serum bactericidal titer (SBT) test is employed to determine the effect of anti-microbial treatment in a patient. The test helps to estimate the dilution of bacteria in the serum and in determining the efficacy of treatment, especially in patients with conditions like endocarditis and osteomyelitis.
What is the SBT medical test?
The serum bactericidal test (SBT) has been used for almost 40 years to monitor therapy in patients with bacterial endocarditis, osteomyelitis, and other serious infections.
How serum bactericidal titer (SBT) test done?
The serum bactericidal test (sbt) has been used for almost 40 years to monitor therapy in patients with bacterial endocarditis, osteomyelitis, and other serious infections. The sbt is ordered to determine the maximum bactericidal dilution of serum after the administration of antibiotics. Before the test, it is important to inform the doctor about any medication that you may be taking. Blood is drawn through venipuncture, mostly from the forearm of the person. Blood is collected from the patient to get 1 ml of serum.
If the serum is collected in a different place, it should be transported as quickly as possible under sterile conditions and not be refrigerated.
If the sample is collected onsite, then it must be a peak specimen, collected in an SST tube in the following manner;
- 30 minutes after IV administration of antibiotics.
- 1-hour post-IM. Administration of antibiotics.
- 1-2 hours after an oral dose of antibiotics.
- Through a specimen taken before the next dose of antibiotic.
SBT Test Conditions
- 10-12hrs overnight fasting is NOT advised
- A doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The normal test results may vary depending on gender, age, health history, etc.
- Inform your doctor if you’ve been taking medicines or drugs, and he might ask you to stop. Certain medications can interact with your SBT test result. Talk to your doctor.
- Home visit service facility available only for total test cost of above ₹999