Nutritionists and health experts are of the belief that sugary drinks are anything but good for you. Sure, they satiate your thirst, especially during the hot and sultry summer days. They also make a great addition to your comfort meals. But, the amount of calories they add in your diet are shocking enough to make you quit them almost instantly! Studies have shown that consuming sugar in liquid form is much worse. This is because liquid sugar is highly concentrated and easy to consume in large amounts.
Say No To Soft Drinks
A 600 ml glass of aerated drink has more sugar than 18 cookies, 6 glazed donuts, 2 bags of chocolate-coated candy. Eliminating soda from your diet is one of the best ways to reduce your added-sugar intake. Rethink your drink and reach for something like water or unsweetened tea instead.
A recent study found daily consumption of sugary drinks linked to increased risk of cardiovascular disease in women. Read here to know the other risks they pose to your health.
10 Reasons To Say ‘NO’ To Soft Drinks
Consuming sugary drinks is like consuming empty calories, which means that only provide you with calories but no nutrition. Sugary drinks are one of the most fattening food items.
According to a study published in the Journal of American Heart Association, the daily intake of sugary drinks has been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. The study was conducted on data from 1,06,000 women over the past 20 years. It was found that drinking sugar-sweetened beverages daily was associated with nearly 20% increased likelihood of women having the cardiovascular disease as compared to women who rarely had them.
- Weight gain – Consuming sugar in the liquid is worse than eating sugary foods or desserts. This is because the brain does not compensate for this intake of calories by consuming lesser food. Either the brain does not register these calories or it does not realize the number of calories you load up on by consuming these sugary drinks. They increase your overall calorie intake and make you prone to weight gain and other metabolic diseases.
- Diabetes – It goes without saying that sugary drinks, including diet soda, should be avoided by people with diabetes. Even if some of these drinks come with a claim of zero sugar or low calories, it has to be understood that they have no nutritive value. Instead of these drinks, diabetics can have homemade buttermilk, coconut water, lemon water, iced green tea, etc to satiate their thirst during the warm summer days.
- Belly fat – High sugar intake has been associated with weight gain. It can lead to the accumulation of fat around your belly and organs. Excessive belly fat can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Sugary drinks may be addictive – Sugary drinks have powerful effects on the brain’s reward system as this may lead to addiction. This is the reason why it is difficult to stop at one glass or can of cola.
- Dental health – Soda contains phosphoric and carbonic acid. These acids create a highly acidic environment in your mouth and make your teeth vulnerable to decay. These acids, when combined with sugar, can be even more damaging for your teeth. Bad bacteria in the mouth feed on sugar. It can lead to cavities and bad breath amongst others.
- Damages liver -Soft drinks contain fructose as a sweetening agent that can be metabolized only by the liver. When we consume too much of sweetened soda, the fructose turns into fat and gets deposited in the liver. And over time, this vital organ of our body gets damaged due to overload and leads to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- It dehydrates your body – Soft drinks contain caffeine and the latter is diuretic, that is, it causes an increase in urine volume. So, you actually become thirstier when you drink a soft drink to quench your thirst.
- Leads to kidney diseases – A research conducted by Osaka University in Japan found drinking two soft drinks a day for three years leads to the development of proteinuria, that is, the presence of abnormal quantities of protein in urine indicating kidney damage.
- It can lead to gout – Gout is a type of arthritis and a high level of uric acid in the blood is the main reason behind those swollen and painful joints. And, the fructose in sweetened soda is known to increase the uric acid level in blood.
- Soft drinks up cancer risks – According to The Royal Society of Chemistry, the color used in soft drinks are toxic and is highly carcinogenic. In an article published in the UK-based newspaper The Telegraph, regular consumption of soft drinks mostly causes pancreatic, prostate, and breast cancers.
Time To Say No To Sugary Drinks
Why people choose sugary drinks over water? Maybe it is the taste that has addicted so many millions of people worldwide. Another reason is that they are easily available anywhere and everywhere from a small petty shop to a 7-star hotel. These drinks are consumed on a large scale because billions of rupees are spent on its promotion and advertising. Another reason could be that these drinks are considerably cheaper compared to milk and other fruit juices. Further, these soft drinks contain caffeine which is addictive and this might be the reason people cannot stop drinking them.
It is the high time people realize the harmful effects of these drinks on our body and health and quit them and switch over to better alternatives. One has to become aware as to how this non- nutritional, carbonated, caffeinated and artificially sweet beverages harm the body and health alike.
One just doesn’t realize how many extra calories they consume by drinking these sugary drinks. Nowadays people have started consuming Diet soda that is also an absolute NO. These contain harmful chemicals and Aspartame i.e considered as a poison. One has to take it seriously to stop drinking these bubbly, fizzy drinks which have only disastrous effects than any benefits. Recent studies have shown how they affect our digestive system also. These drinks damage our cells, increase the risk of lung disease and asthma, increases uric acid, heartburn, develop hypertension, and also the major mental problems.
Now it is time to look for better options instead of consuming this harmful fizzy stuff. Water intake is considered the best drink in the world, so it is a must that one takes 8-10 glasses of water every day. Different kinds of green, herbal, or black tea which are rich in antioxidants can be taken instead of these drinks. People can try fresh fruit juices, buttermilk, and milkshake too. Remember that you can always cut some fresh fruit and pop a little into a tall glass of water for an extra flavor kick. Choosing healthy drinks over sugary soda, Give it a try. Your body will thank you.
Read About: Nicotinamide vs Niacinamide