Metanephrines TestServe Only in Pune!
You save 17%
Offer from Wednesday 31st August to Thursday 31st March
Plasma Metanephrines Test
The plasma metanephrines test is used to help diagnose or rule out the presence of a rare tumour called a pheochromocytoma or a paraganglioma (PPGL) that releases excess metanephrines. Testing also may be used when a tumour has been treated or removed to monitor for recurrence.
Note: Read test details, FAQs and test conditions before proceeding to booking.
Available!🔥18 others viewing this lab test!
Metanephrines test help diagnoses or rule out a rare tumour of the adrenal gland called a pheochromocytoma or a rare tumour occurring outside the adrenal glands called a paraganglioma; these tumours (PPGL) produce excess hormones called catecholamines, which are broken down to Metanephrine.
When metanephrines test advised?
Your doctor may or may not want to rule out the possibility that you have a tumour that produces catecholamine. when you (especially if you are younger than age 40) have sudden bursts (paroxysms) of signs and symptoms, such as high blood pressure (especially if it doesn’t respond to standard treatment), severe headaches, rapid heart rate (palpitations), sweating, tremors and flushing; when you have a hereditary (genetic) risk for developing PPGL; when a tumour has been treated or removed, to monitor for recurrence; occasionally, when an adrenal tumour is detected by chance, such as during an imaging test for another condition.
Any preparations required for the metanephrines test?
Catecholamine levels and, by extension, the levels of their metabolites are affected by various drugs, foods, and stresses. Preparation for the test is important to ensure that an appropriate sample is collected and for correct interpretation of results. Follow any instructions given by your doctor or the collection site or laboratory in charge.
- You should talk to your doctor about any prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs and supplements that you are taking. It may be necessary to discontinue medications for some time before the test.
- However, you should not stop taking any medications without consulting your doctor. Your doctor will work with you to identify potentially interfering substances and drug treatments and to determine which of them can be safely interrupted and which must be continued for your well-being.
- You will also be instructed on what foods to avoid. Fasting may also be required before the sample being drawn.
- Avoid emotional and physical stresses and vigorous exercise before and during sample collection, as they can increase catecholamine release and therefore affect metanephrine levels.
Important to note before your metanephrines test
While the metanephrines test can help detect and diagnose a tumour that produces catecholamines, it cannot tell the doctor the location of the tumour or whether it is benign or malignant (although most are benign). Imaging studies may locate the tumour and genetic testing may determine potential malignancy.
Usually, a single adrenal tumour will arise in either, but multiple tumours can form. This is more likely in people with a strong family history of pheochromocytomas. You may have a tumour in each adrenal gland or occasionally in other locations.
Even a tiny tumour can produce large amounts of catecholamines.
Do I need to fast for the metanephrines test?
The level of catecholamines (and their metabolites) in the blood is affected by diet. For test accuracy, interfering substances need to be avoided. Various foods, including caffeine-containing foods such as coffee and energy drinks, and chocolate, as well as cigarette and cigar smoking, may interfere with the test and should be avoided before testing. It is important to follow the instructions given by your doctor and the specimen collecting laboratory.
Plasma Metanephrines test conditions
- Overnight fasting required. Talk to your doctor before book test.
- Doctor’s prescription required
- Previous Medical History May Required
- Inform your doctor before the test and follow all of his/her advice.
Metanephrines Blood Test
Also known as metanephrines blood test, plasma metanephrines test
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp 919766060629
Read Our Article On Cancer