Free Testosterone TestServe Only in Pune!
You save 11%
Offer from Wednesday 31st March to Monday 31st March
Serum Free Testosterone Test
Free testosterone test estimates the free testosterone levels in serum. Testosterone is a steroid hormone (androgen) made by the testes in males. Testosterone is also produced by the adrenal glands in both males and females and, in small amounts, by the ovaries in females.
Note: Read test details, FAQs and test conditions before proceeding to booking.
Available!🔥16 others viewing this lab test!
Free Testosterone Test
This test estimates the free testosterone levels in serum. Testosterone is a steroid hormone (androgen) made by the testes in males. Testosterone is also produced by the adrenal glands in both males and females and, in small amounts, by the ovaries in females. In males, a decreased testosterone level may show hypothalamic or pituitary disease or damage to the testes.
The concentration of free testosterone is very low, typically <2% of the total testosterone concentration. In most men and women, >50% of total circulating testosterone is bound to sex hormone-binding globulin, SHBG, and most of the rest is bound to albumin.
What is free testosterone?
Testosterone free is also known as Total testosterone or Bioavailable testosterone. This test detects the levels of free testosterone in the blood.
Why is free testosterone test advised?
- To detect an abnormal testosterone level in males and females
- To diagnose the cause of infertility in males and females
- To diagnose the cause of erectile dysfunction in males
- To detect the cause of virilization (masculine physical features) in females
- To find out the cause for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- To determine the cause of ambiguous genitalia (genitals that are not clearly male or female) in children
- To diagnose the cause of delayed or early puberty
What does serum free testosterone test measure?
Testosterone free measures the levels of free testosterone present in the blood. Testosterone is a sex hormone which is mainly found in men. It can also be found in women, but in small amounts. Testosterone helps in the development of male physical characteristics.
In men, testosterone is produced by the Leydig cells present in the testicles. It is also produced by the adrenal glands present in both males and females. In females, small amounts of testosterone are produced by the ovaries.
The function of testosterone is to develop secondary sex characteristics, which include enlargement of the penis, body hair growth, development of muscle, and deepening of the voice. During puberty, it is produced in large amounts in males. In adult males, its function is to regulate the sex drive and to maintain muscle mass. In adult females, the testosterone gets converted to estradiol, which is the main sex hormone in females.
The testosterone hormone production is regulated by luteinizing hormone (LH), which is produced by the pituitary gland. As the levels of testosterone rise, the production of LH decreases, which slows down the production of testosterone. This is because of the negative feedback system in which one entity controls the production of others. Similarly, when the levels of testosterone fall, it leads to an increase in production of LH, which stimulates testosterone production.
The levels of testosterone are highest in the early morning and lowest in the evening. With exercise, the levels of testosterone increase and with age, the levels decrease.
In the blood, about two-thirds of testosterone hormone is bound to sex-hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and about one-third is bound to albumin. A small amount is present as free testosterone.
Free testosterone test result normal values
In males: 8.69 – 54.69 pg/mL
In females (> 12 years)
- Follicular phase: 0.45 – 3.17 pg/mL
- Luteal phase: 0.46 – 2.48 pg/mL
- Oral contraceptive: 0.55 – 2.01 pg/mL
- Post menopausal: 0.29 – 1.73 pg/mL
Reference range may vary from lab to lab, units and testing methods.
Serum free testosterone test conditions
- There are no specific preparations required for the Free Testosterone Test
- Smoking, chemotherapy, and radiation may change the levels of Total Testosterone in the blood. Hence, inform your doctor about your current status of health and the medications you take.
- Male sex hormone test
- Doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The test result may vary depending on gender, age, health history, etc.
- Ideal for adult male above 30yrs
- Home visit collection facility available for total test amount above Rs999.00
Also known as free testosterone blood test, free testosterone test levels, free testosterone lab test, free testosterone levels test,
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp 919766060629
Read our Article On Testosterone Test
Watch On YouTube