ESR Blood Test
Book blood test for erythrocyte sedimentation rate – esr
What is ESR test?
Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate is a blood test that measures the rate at which the red blood cells sediment at the bottom of a test tube in an hour.
Why this ESR test is performed?
This test is performed to determine the presence of inflammation in the body. The inflammation can be due to infections, autoimmune disorders, cancers, etc. However, this test does not specify the exact cause of inflammation. Your doctor may ask you to perform other tests along with this test to rule out the exact cause for your symptoms.
This test is performed to rule out the presence of inflammation in the body. Your doctor may ask to perform this test if you experience any signs and symptoms of inflammatory diseases. This includes fever, joint stiffness, headache, abnormal weight loss, loss of appetite, neck or shoulder pain, unusual abdominal pain, blood in stool, diarrhea, etc.
ESR test normal value
ESR test results are measured in millimeters per hour (mm/hr).
The following are considered normal ESR test results:
- Women under age 50 should have an ESR under 20 mm/hr.
- Men under age 50 should have an ESR under 9 mm/hr.
- Children should have an ESR between 0 and 10 mm/hr.
The higher the number, the higher the level of inflammation.
This test isn’t always reliable or meaningful. Many factors can alter your results, such as:
Some causes of abnormal ESR test results are more serious than others, but many aren’t a huge concern. It’s important not to worry too much if your ESR test results are abnormal. Instead, consult with your doctor to find out what’s causing your symptoms. They’ll usually order follow-up tests if your ESR results are too high or low.
ESR Test Precautions
Certain medications that cause low ESR test results are medicines used to treat seizures such as phenytoin, valproic acid, divalproex sodium; aspirin, prednisone, cortisone, phenothiazines. Medications that may cause high ESR test results are oral contraceptives, testosterone, estrogens, methyldopa, methadone, dextran, heroin, etc.
If you have higher or lower than normal levels of ESR test results consult your doctor for further instructions. Based on the test results, your doctor may advise appropriate medical treatments, lifestyle modifications, or further diagnostic tests.
- Westergren Method ESR Test
- Same-Day Reporting
- Overnight fasting is not required
- If it is performed along with other blood tests, you may need to fast (not eat or drink) for 10-12 hours.
- Doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The test result may vary depending on gender, age, health history, etc.
- The ESR value may alter due to many factors such as age, pregnancy, menstruation, obesity, the use of certain medicines such as oral contraceptives, aspirin, cortisone and vitamin supplements, etc.
- High ESR test values can be seen in the case of pregnancy, kidney disease, thyroid disease, or in individuals with high cholesterol, etc.
- Home visit collection facility is not available for esr test
Also known as, ESR Westergren Blood, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate Westergren, Sedimentation Test, Sed Rate Test, esr blood test, blood test for esr, esr level, test for esr level, esr level in blood
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp +919766060629
Read our Article On ESR
Watch On YouTube