Coombs Test (Direct or Indirect)
Coombs test is a blood test conducted to check for antibodies against red blood cells. The Coombs test checks your blood for antibodies that attack red blood cells.
Note: Read test details, FAQs and test conditions before proceeding to booking.
Coombs Test (Direct or Indirect)
Coombs Test is a blood test conducted to check for antibodies against red blood cells. The test can be performed in healthcare nt sickcare equipped with advanced medical technology and highly calibrated instruments.
There are various types of blood types, each having an antibody corresponding to it. These antibodies will evoke a response to all other blood types except the one to which they correspond. Coombs test is specifically designed to find antibodies that are synthesized against any foreign blood type apart from the one the patient has.
What is a coombs test?
Coombs test plays an important part in diagnosing many disorders. Some of these disorders are mentioned below:
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia
- Rh incompatibility
Other than these disorders, the Coombs test is a routine investigation done prior to blood donation. This helps in choosing a blood type which is compatible with the recipient. Pregnant women often undergo Coombs test in order to ensure that maternal and fetal blood types are compatible with one another.
Indications of Coombs test include discolouration of the skin, presence of blood in stool and urine, the recent history of blood transfusion or organ transplant. Coombs test has been used widely and successfully for detecting the above disorders. Coombs test is also performed on blood, which is collected from donors before it is used for transfusion.
Coombs test is performed by withdrawing a venous blood sample. The sample is collected from a vein in the forearm. It is stored in a sterile container which has been pre-filled with anti-clotting medication. It is tested with specific antigens to observe for clot formation or other unhealthy changes.
A positive Coombs test during pregnancy is a cause of concern, as it could hamper the growth of the fetus or have worse results. Positive results of the Coombs test should never be taken lightly and a doctor should be consulted immediately. Prompt treatment helps in resolving any health disorder at the earliest while avoiding unnecessary complications.
Coombs test indirect
Indirect Coombs Test is used to identify red blood cell IgG antibodies that can cross the placenta and cause hemolytic disease of the newborn.
The Indirect Coombs Test, also called the Indirect Antiglobulin Test (IAT) is a laboratory procedure. It is performed to identify the presence or absence of antibodies in blood directed against antigens found in red blood cells. This procedure helps to determine compatibility for blood transfusion, Rh incompatibility between a pregnant woman and her child, and the possibility of hemolytic anemia occurring because of any autoimmune disorder.
When to do indirect coombs test?
- At the time of donating blood, tissue, organ, or bone marrow or while getting registered as a potential donor
- Before receiving a blood transfusion or blood components transfusion to determine compatibility with donated blood
- Before pregnancy and during pregnancy to determine the risk of incompatibility between the mother and fetus
- To determine if hemolytic anemia is caused because of an autoimmune disorder
Coombs test direct
Direct Coombs test detects IgG and Complement bound to erythrocytes. The test is useful in diagnosing patients with Hemolytic disease of the newborn and Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. Drug-induced antibodies may give false-positive reactions.
Coombs Test Procedure
- Overnight fasting is not required
- Doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The test result may vary depending on age, sex and health history, etc.
- No special preparation is needed for the Coombs Test. Inform your doctor if you are on any medications or have any underlying medical conditions or allergies before undergoing the Coombs Test.
- Home visit service facility available only for total test cost of above ₹999.00
Coombs test direct vs indirect
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp 919766060629
Read our Article On Autoimmune Diseases
Watch On YouTube