People in India who practice the art of being healthy by doing yoga, pranayama, or maybe follow Ayurvedic guidelines favour the Sattvic diet plan or life style.
Sattvic comes from the Sanskrit word “Sattva” which means pure, clean and strong energy. According to Bhagavad Gita, the food that an individual eats directly influences their thoughts, character, mental well-being and health. According to Chandogya Upanishad, eating a Sattvic food purifies the mind, removes toxins from our body, thus cleansing both the body and mind.
Bhagavad Gita is part of Mahabharat, wherein Lord Krishna gives valuable advice to Pandu prince Arjuna on how to ward off your tensions and enjoy a happy life. One chapter in Gita is solely dedicated to how and what to eat to lead a strong and healthy life.
Let us understand the meaning of “Gunas”. Gunas in Sanskrit means qualities of nature. There are three types of gunas.
- Sattvic: means purity, well-being, healthy and balanced mind and body, positivity and peacefulness.
- Rajasic: means desire, passion, active and intense mind, restlessness, anger, stress.
- Tamasic: means laziness, dullness, inertia, lethargy, slowness.
Every object living or non-living component (including humans) in the universe has all these 3 Gunas. The intensity or proportions of these Gunas vary in each individual. A spiritual way of life aims to increase the Sattva Guna to gain a healthy and balanced life.
Quick Jump Table
What is all included in the Sattvic Diet Plan?
Sattvic diet includes fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, sprouts, honey, ghee, nuts, grains, pulses, lentils, ginger, jaggery, unrefined sugar, turmeric, black pepper, dhania, fresh herbs, milk and dairy products. Sattvic food keeps a person calm and boosts the immune system. They are both physically and mentally healthy.
What is all included in the Rajasic Diet?
Rajasic diet includes foods that are rich in taste using spices, onion, garlic, coffee, tea, sugar, deep-fried foods, instant energy-giving foods or fast foods. Rajasic food is flavourful, spicy and hot foods. This type of food gives instant energy for the time being. These foods slowly harm the digestive system and give a sense of bloating and indigestion. This reduces the energy level in our body and induces stress, dullness, and anger.
What is all included in the Tamasic Diet?
Tamasic diet includes processed food, meat, eggs, deep-frozen food, reheated food, alcohol, stale foods, etc. This type of food makes a person lethargic, dull, unproductive, careless, and incompetent.
7 Benefits of Sattvic Food Lifestyle
Eating Sattvic food will give you good health, good nutrition and improve digestion. Sattvic food is very natural since it includes all fresh and medicinal ingredients. The diet is so natural that you don’t feel heavy or lethargic after eating and gives a peaceful feeling. So slowly start incorporating sattvic food in your diet and learn to cook varieties of tasty dishes because this is going to show wonderful results in your body starting from good health, good energy boost and positive state of mind.
It’s not necessary that only a yoga practitioner or a spiritual person should follow the Sattvic diet. To gain physical and mental balance, the Sattvic diet plays an important role. The following are the benefits of eating a sattvic diet;
- Improves the immune system and acts as an immune booster: Sattvic diet is extremely nutritious as 40% of the Sattvic diet includes raw vegetables and fruits as salads. Consuming natural fresh foods provides all the nutrients, dietary fiber, antioxidants, proteins, minerals and monounsaturated fats. If this diet is followed regularly, it boosts your immunity, allowing a healthier immune system.
- Helps in weight loss: If our everyday meal includes sattvic foods, like a fresh salad made from seasonal vegetables and fruits, lentils and sprouts, promote weight loss. These foods have low carbs and calories which are loaded with the goodness of protein, vitamins and minerals. It gives a satiate feeling which will prevent you from sinful snacking before the next meal. Slow chewing of food is proven to reduce fat absorption and instantly boosts metabolism. Sattvic food is rich in fiber, which helps in reducing calories.
- Maintain balance in body and mind: The sattvic diet is popular among people who practice yoga and exercise. This food brings flexibility to the body. Food is considered being healthy if after consumption brings energy and freshness to the body and mind. If you feel sleepy and lethargic after having the food, then it means that food is not compatible with your body. Scientists have proved that a good diet brings energy, peacefulness and happiness to the mind and body. The sattvic diet is loaded with goodness that maintains the balance in body and mind. With a healthy body and mind, we will increase our life expectancy. People who are seeking spiritual growth should follow the sattvic diet.
- Improves digestive system: Being on a sattvic diet means eating only fresh foods. Our everyday meal should have 40% of raw vegetables, sprouts, nuts and fruits. This means salad should be a part of our everyday meal. Vegetables and fruits have the maximum nutrients, minerals and fiber when eaten in the raw form, which is usually lost when cooked. This promotes easy digestion because of fiber rich food. According to Ayurveda, each morsel of food has to be chewed 24 times before swallowing. This helps complete the absorption of nutrients from food and improves digestion.
- Prevent chronic diseases: A low-fat and high-fiber diet reduces certain chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer, hypertension, heart disease and also helps fight Coronavirus.
The sattvic diet is rich in fiber, nutrients and antioxidants, which prevent certain chronic diseases. A minor change in the diet can make a big impact in the long run. Being on a sattvic diet means you stay out of fried foods, processed foods, canned foods, etc. This keeps the cholesterol level in control and prevents heart diseases. Diabetes and certain cancers are also kept at bay since sattvic food keeps our stomach happy with easy digestion and absorption. Eating nuts increases the good cholesterol or monounsaturated fats in your body that keep the blood pressure in control. These foods also prevent stomach ulcers.
- Detoxes the body: Toxicity in the body can be measured if you feel a sense of bloating, headache, skin rashes, fatigue, acne or nausea. If you are regularly experiencing these symptoms, change the diet and detox your body. Having a sattvic diet will help detox your body. Having a sattvic diet will help detox your body. Practice fasting once every month. Having a glass of warm water mixed with a pinch of turmeric and honey every morning removes toxicity from your body. Practising yoga or meditation along with a healthy diet will help cleanse your body.
- Stay Energetic: A visible change in the body can be noticed within a month of having a sattvic diet. You will wake up fresh in the morning without feeling tired and sleepy. Our body feels light and energetic, with more flexibility than before. Your mood is elevated, bringing in a significant change in the productivity of your work. The sattvic diet helps you to stay energetic.
We have seen all the benefits of being on a sattvic diet. During this modern age, it’s not possible to follow this diet entirely, but we can slowly incorporate it along with our regular diet. Once you reap the benefits, I am sure you will follow them regularly. So leverage the easily available resources to improve your health rather than going to the doctors or nutritionists.
Know about, you can get pregnant in your period
©healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com, 2017-Till Date. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full credit is given to healthcare nt sickcare and healthcarentsickcare.com with appropriate and specific directions to the original content.